Thursday, May 24, 2012

Box Lunch

Not that anyone was wondering but here is how the songs were recorded. The drum track went on first often accompanied by the bass on track 2, then a rhythm instrument (guitar or keyboard) on track 3. Then those 3 tracks were mixed onto track 4. That means I can't change the relative volume of the drums, bass and rhythm. If one gets louder, they all get louder.

Then I recorded the vocals, harmonies and guitar solos on the three tracks that were free to be recorded over. If I had to, I mixed tracks 1 and 2 onto track 3, and that left 1 and 2 to record over. If only I had had an 8-track recorder back in 1993 when I recorded all these songs, I could have had each individual instrument separate -- and could get rid of the more obnoxious ones.



 
Written: NMSU, Las Cruces NM, fall 1965
 
One day in the mid 70s Dwight pulled out his wallet and said, “Knees, I got something here you wrote.” It was the lyrics to a song that Knees had written in history class at NMSU in the fall of 1965. Knees had forgotten all about it. Luckily (or not) Dwight had kept it in his wallet all that time.
 
I got hairs in my teeth an blood in my mouth
It’s easy to tell I’ve been down south
Some like to screw an some dry hunch
But I’ll always take a juicy box lunch.
 
When a napkin is handy an the ketchup is flowin
You ask your baby if she might try blowin
She’s chewin your cookies
An you’re startin to munch
There ain’t nothin better than a juicy box lunch.
 
You’re down at the Y an she’s startin to function
There’s plenty of action
Where her legs make a junction
You got it licked cuz she’s startin to hunch
She’ll get her rocks from a juicy box lunch.
 
You keep on goin, it’s kicks just to chew
I doubt if she’ll kiss you after you’re through
You’re right in the groove an diggin it a bunch
Who wants to fuck
When you can eat a box lunch?

Hives

No comments:

Post a Comment