Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Honks

I actually recorded these back in June of 2006 not long after I bought a new amp, a Fender G-Dec, that had drums and all kinds of effects built-in. Back then I was recording a song a night and calling them "Nightsongs". I used to have them up at the Ramble House web site but I phased them out when I started Knees Calhoon's Midnight Ramble.

It occurred to me that I rarely play any solos in the songs I've been covering, so here's some picking, the way I did it back in 2006.


Bill Jourdan, a great and wise steel guitar player I used to play with in 1966, and I were listening to a Dixieland song one time and I remarked that it sounded like everybody was taking a solo at the same time. "That's exactly right," Bill said. "Everybody solo, all the time. That's Dixieland." So, in that spirit, I recorded about a half dozen solos over the same bass-drums track and played them all at the same time. As usual they weren't listening to each other.


Here are another two Nightsongs that are not technically Honks but I really liked the rhythm and the guitar tones the amplifier supplied.





BONUS COVER!
Here to temper the jangliness of the Honks is a comforting country tune by Buffalo Springfield.


by Buffalo Springfield