Thursday, October 31, 2013

Czardas

Okay, it's time for a real change of pace here at the countdown to Cthulhu's Day. It was back in 1984 or so and my girlfriend asked Gordon Butler, the fiddler in the Calhoon Brothers, to do a "gypsy" song for her. I had no idea of what to do but Gordon brought his violin over to my house one day where I had my electronic piano set up and said, "Let's do this song called Czardas. It sounds sort of gypsy and it goes like this." He ran through the chord progression (which was in some gawdawful flat key) and I said, "Let's record."

I wasn't sure of the rhythm of the song and Gordon said to just fumble around the beat. Then he took off.

Afterwards, I said I was surprised I was able to play all the way through without making a major mistake and he agreed. But don't listen to the keyboard. Listen to the violin. It's fantastic. Why didn't we ever think of playing something like this at the bar? The dancers would have loved it.

 


The Mighty Calhoon Brothers (1985)
Mark Coker, Gordon Butler, Steve Roberts, Fender Tucker