Sunday, March 24, 2013

July's Not the Hottest Month in Oz

It was back in 2012 that Knees joined a group of Canadians on Facebook and YouTube to make some music. It had been almost ten years since he thought about music very much. The group of about a dozen people was called the Cover Album Project Band. Each month they would do some recording project, usually covering all of the songs on a classic album like Revolver by the Beatles, Harvest by Neil Young or Joshua Tree by U2. But the project for February was a special one in which we were to write original songs about a month of the year (July was randomly selected for me) using the chord pattern: I  V  iv  V  or  D  A  Bm  G. 

I was leery of getting back into songwriting after 10 fallow years but I figured with the chords dictated I should be able to knock this off in about 15 minutes. As always I grabbed the first thing that fell out of my mind, in this case, a heat wave in Australia. Then I laid down simple tracks. Nothing to it. Like riding a bicycle.


There's even a video!

When you find yourself in a sweat
Crank up the AC and take off your clothes
When it's too hot for even your pet
Remember it's summer and the world is a globe.

There's a place where toilets drain weird
Where the desert is north and the devil is south
And you won't feel like shaving off your beard
So cheer up my friend don't be down in the mouth

July's not the hottest month in Oz
In fact it's the month when the kangaroos roam
July's not the hottest month in Oz
So find you a wallaby and give it a home

July's not the hottest month in Oz
I can't wait to see those kangaroos roam
July's not the hottest month in Oz
I recommend a wallaby to spruce up your home.

July's not the hottest month in Oz
July's not the hottest month in Oz
July's not the hottest month in Oz




 BONUS COVER!
There are still 25 songs by Knees and/or his colluders left till the big day but I've decided for each of these last 25 nights I'll include one of Knees' better cover recordings down here at the bottom of the page. Why not? Some are actually pretty good.

Grateful Dead