Saturday, July 7, 2012

Repetition


Astute blogophiles will note that I am retreating back to 1985 from the previous song, which was from 1987. That's because when I got to 1985 and listened to the version of Repetition I recorded back then, I realized it was so crappy I couldn't foist it upon you. Instead I decided to postpone it and re-record it using my modern tools. It took about a half hour and most of that was setting things up. 

One thing I'd like to note. This song is repetitive and is a natural for using what are called "loops" where you record one measure, or two, and have that loop repeated when needed throughout the song. Every serious recordist uses loops and if I had, this song would have been even easier. But I never have used loops and don't really know how. Instead I played the bass and guitar tracks all the way through, first takes. It wasn't that my hands got tired; my main problem was keeping my mind from drifting off.

It's ridiculously easy to record things in 2012 and I should be ashamed of myself for not recording everything. The two songs that are coming up -- after Repetition -- are the last two songs Knees ever wrote all the way through, and in my opinion are far and away the best ever recorded.

But don't worry; I have some ideas for more Midnight Rambles even when the Knees Calhoon Songbook has, like a 50-year-old termite queen, squirted out its last two embryos.

 

Written: Gallagher Street, Las Cruces NM, 1985

Evolving from disco music, R&R in the 80s was polluting the airwaves with songs that seemed to Knees to be nothing more than a line or two being repeated ad nauseum, as if the listening span of the average teenager had dropped below the five second level. So of course Knees had to write an opus celebrating lyrical and musical laziness. 

I don’t care if the sun never rises
Long as my music gives me no surprises
An I don’t care if the melody’s cheap
Long as I can sing it in my sleep.

Repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition.

I don’t care if it’s June or December
There’s just one lick I got to remember
An I don’t care if I’m live or dead
Just drive that rhythm right into my head.

Repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition
Repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition
Repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition
Repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition
Repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition
Repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition
Repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition
Repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition.

 Cauliflower Zig-zag

Okay. In case you want to hear the crappy version I referred to, here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment