Friday, June 29, 2012

Sanctuary


I got the idea for this song from my usual source of inspiration, my books. A tip for budding songwriters: if you need a good title for your song, just walk up and down the fiction aisles of a library. There are thousands of words and phrases that have been vetted by venal publishers and editors to be the most provocative, eye-catching titles possible, and they're all lined up on shelves facing you. Just tilt your head a bit to the right.

It might even help if you use the prose of the book, too. Perhaps this song would have been better if I had followed the plot of William Faulkner's book instead of using a situation I found myself in with a woman at the time. The version below was recorded in 2013 with my harmonizer and acoustic guitar. There's an earlier version below the doodle.

   
Written: Gallagher Street, Las Cruces NM, 1980

Knees was thinking of the William Faulkner novel when he wrote this whiny ballad. Too bad he didn’t follow the plot better. The song sounded pretty good when Knees was playing with a group called Night Flight. He was the piano player and the guitarist, Mike Gregory, was amazing. Unfortunately, Knees never was able to get a copy of the few recordings they made.

You call on me when you can use me
When you’re feelin low you choose me
You count on me, I’m a soft place you can fall

But while you’re out gettin lonely
Til it hurts so much you phone me
I’m thinkin someday, I won’t be here when you call.

Everybody needs a sanctuary
A place to hide when you’re feelin too well known
Everybody needs a sanctuary
Well I’m somebody and I need one of my own.

I love your mind I’ve been inside it
But somethin’s wrong we’re too one-sided
I’m sinkin fast,  and I can’t wait too long

So when your nights begin to bruise you
Let’s just hope I don’t refuse you
I’m tryin hard but I can only be so strong.

Everybody needs a sanctuary
A place to hide, a friend that you can call
Everybody needs a sanctuary
I’m somebody and I need you most of all.

Coral


Recorded in 1993