Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My Lady Cries When the Train Whistle Blows

Knees always thought that Willie Nelson would have done a good job on this song. The lady who inspired it was a friend of Willie's back in the 70s, and Knees was thinking of how Willie might write a song about found love. The line "made me a father" was poetic license.

I moved to Louisiana in 1987 where I married and settled down to a life of computers and books. She married, had a son, and is now a very successful world traveling businesswoman. I guess we both turned out okay.


Written: Gallagher Street, Las Cruces NM, 1980

Knees wrote this for his favorite lady of Las Cruces. They spent much of their time in a dreamlike state, letting emotions run wild, and Knees wanted to preserve in song some of her more endearing histrionics.

My lady cries when the train whistle blows
Dreamin bout her past that only she knows
In the night I hold her tighter
To keep her here with me
But as long as that whistle blows she goes
To her railroad days and the girl she used to be.

She rode the rails with her ramblin gamblin man
She kept a cigar in his smile
An a drink in his hand
He kept her for his pleasure
Now the pleasure’s all mine
But as long as that whistle blows she goes
To her railroad days and the girl she left behind

She’s the finest woman that I’ve ever known
She’s made me a father an given me a home
An I know it all all happened
Such a long long time ago
But my lady still cries
When the train whistle blows.

Retina